Rahul Mangla, 29th January 2014
Please accept my humble obeisances.
All Glories to Srila Gurudev & Srimati Gurumata!
All Glories to Srila Prabhupad!
1. Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.6 purport:
It is stated in the Brahma-samhita that Lord Brahma was initiated into the eighteen-letter Krsna mantra, which is generally accepted by all the devotees of Lord Krsna.
Q: What is this eighteen-letter Krsna mantra?
2. Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.8 purport:
One celestial year is equal to 6 x 30 x 12 x 1000 of our years.
Q: How the first figure 6 is derived in above calculation?
=> I have read only upto 2.9.10, I may come across answers later but just curious to know the answers.
Mahabhagavat Das SDA, 05th February 2014
Dear Bhakta Rahul,
Short answers to your questions (others please kindly correct/elaborate if possible):
1. The 18 letter mantra is mentioned in the Brahma Samhita purport, but it is advisable not to discuss openly as this 18-letter mantra is part of the Gayatri mantras which are confidential and meant to be received in disciplic succession (even if known, they are not effective until received properly in disciplic succession) – in ISKCON, this is at the time of the second initiation, so please rest assured that in due course of time, as and when you get to the right stage, you will receive that mysterious magical 18-syllable mantra… 🙂
2. One celestial day is equal to 6 earthly months. But note that this celestial year mentioned is not Lord Brahma’s year but the years as calculated on heavenly planets… where one day is equal to 6 months of our time.
Rahul Mangla, 06th February 2014
Thank you so much for the answers. But I still have doubt in second question.
It is actually the calculation for the duration which Lord Brahma engaged himself in meditation.
He engaged himself for 1000 Celestial Years. To convert it into earthly years it should be multiplied with (X x 30 x 12), where X should be the duration on earth IN YEARS and at the same time should be equal to 1 Celestial Day.
What I could conclude from various references is that one full day (12 hours day + 12 hours night) of heavenly planets is equal to one year on earth. I am including following references to support this:
1. Srimad Bhagavatam 2.10.27 purport: Six months on earth is equal to one day on the heavenly planets.
2. Srimad Bhagavatam 3.17.15 purport:
On the Brahmaloka planet the duration of one day is calculated to be 4,300,000 x 1,000 solar years. [and same is the duration of night which is not written in the purport]
Similarly, in other heavenly planets one day is calculated to be six months of this planet [and same must be the duration of night which is not written in the purport]
24-Nov-2012 – Utthana Ekadashi
07-July-2013 – Sayana Ekadashi
13-Nov-2013 – Utthana Ekadashi
From above Ekadashi dates also, it appears that one heavenly day is equal to one earth year.
So from above references, value of X should be 1.
Therefore 1 Celestial Year = 1 x 30 x 12 Earthly Years
And Lord Brahma engaged in meditation for 1 x 30 x 12 x 1000 earthly years (1000 Celestial Years)
Please confirm if I am correct and forgive for offenses in seeking this clarification.
Rahul Mangla, 20th February 2014
I was reading Srimad Bhagavatam 2.10.46 purport, there also it is confirmed that one heavenly (upper planetary) day is equal to one earth year:
In the upper planetary system the duration of one complete day and night is equal to one complete year of this earth. This is accepted even by the modern scientist and attested by the astronauts.
Jagannatha Dasa, 15th March 2014
Please accept my humble obeisances.
All Glories to Srila Gurudeva!
All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!
One celestial year is equal to 6 x 30 x 12 x 1000 of our years. This is stated in Srila Prabhupada’s purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.8. One celestial year is thus 2,160,000 (Two million, one hundred and sixty thousand) years. Since we know based on the same purport that Lord Brahma was in meditation for 1,000 years, therefore, if we want to understand how many years Lord Brahma was meditating, we have to multiply 2,160,000 by 1,000. The resulting number is the earth years he meditated, viz. 2,160,000,000 or Two billion, one hundred and sixty million years.
Hoping this meets you well.
Jagannatha Dasa Brahmacari
Please subscribe to daily inspirational emails from His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari (Writings and lectures archived at sda-archives.com), written fresh every day from his travels around the world sharing the highest spiritual knowledge with everyone. Sign up now at www.backtohome.com